GI Bill Transferability

GI Bill Transferability


The Montgomery GI Bill is one of the most beneficial and comprehensive GI programs, offering educational benefits to service members in all stages of duty. Between the MGIB-AD, MGIB-SR, REAP, and Post-9/11 GI Bill, members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines are able to receive financial assistance for tuition, books, tutoring, monthly housing, and more. Unlike any of the other GI Bill programs, service members with the Post-9/11 GI Bill program are able to transfer their benefits to their immediate family members. Let’s take a look at which individuals are eligible to receive transferred benefits, as well as how to apply for a benefits transfer.


Am I Eligible?


GIs who are members of the Armed Forces (whether they are active duty or members of the Select Reserves), and who enlisted on or after August 1st, 2009, are considered eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

In order to be eligible for benefits transfer, service members must have a minimum of 6 years in the Armed Forces. Furthermore, an additional four years of honorable service must be guaranteed. Service members may also find that their benefits are transferable if they have already served ten years in one of the four branches of the Armed Forces, the DoD, or another statute. If you are a GI that has become eligible for retirement but instead agreed to serve another four-year term of service on or after August 1st, 2012, then you are also eligible. Finally, service men or women who have completed twenty years of active federal or qualifying service are also eligible for benefits transfer.


Transferring your Benefits


If you are currently serving as a member of the armed forces and would like to transfer your benefits to your dependents, go to the TEB (Transfer of Education Benefits) website to file your request. You will have to complete the Transfer of Entitlement request. Service members who have already completed their service will have to submit a tentative date to connect their transferred benefits.

1 Comment
  • Jeremy sterling
    Posted at 22:46h, 25 June Reply

    I transferred my post 911 benefits to my kids in 2013. How do I get a copy of a certificate so my youngest daughter could get enrolled in school. I have tried many times to call the toll free phone number and never get to talk to a real person. Do not like that service. Can you please get in contact with me ASAP.

Post A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy