The GI Bill Kicker

The GI Bill Kicker


The Navy, Marine and Army Corps Funds for College


GI Bill Kicker is prominently referred to as the Navy, Army or Marine Corps College Funds, and is presented via the service branch of the DoD as a part of the reenlistment or the enlistment contract and for various other reasons.

The Corps College Fund refers to a supplementary amount of monetary benefit that raises the basic benefit received per month by an individual and this is covered in the GI Bill disbursement which is released by VA. The service branch has the provisions to determine which individual receives the funds and the sum received by them. To ensure the accuracy of the funds being offered under the College Fund scheme, it is vital for the individual to submit a copy of the bill to VA.

These added benefits can boost the GI Bill disbursement amount to $950 per month. This implies that the benefit value of GI Bill can actually receive a significant boost. The amount received by a person is dependent on several factors which include the service joined, the location of service, the job chosen, enlistment date and the tenure of the enlistment contract.

The college funds can also be paid under the GI bill however they are governed by certain restrictions and limitations. To get precise answers and to procure information about the GI Bill benefits, the VA can be contacted at 1-88-GIBILL-1.

Note: The term GI Bill Kicker is used by the Air Force which refers to the GI Bill Buy-up initiative. This bill is presented to all the active duty participants of the GI Bill. The GI Bill is also offered to the members who opt to stick to the reserve forces. For this, the member must first meet the requirements and also needs to accept the bill. The benefits under the Reserve GI Bill can be boosted to more than $24,000 is one qualifies for the GI Bill Kicker for Reserve members. Until and unless the service member receives the GI Bill, the GI Bill Kicker amount is not offered to the individual. The kicker is an added benefit offered by the GI Bill.

  • Joshua Kyle
    Posted at 19:09h, 08 February Reply

    I have the marine corps college fund and it had to built into my contract upon enlistment. Trying get anyone that understands what it is or how it works is next to impossible.

  • Tiara R,
    Posted at 15:48h, 20 November Reply

    I have been trying to get my kicker started for two years now nor I or my unit can find this infamous college portion in my contract… Please help. Who do I call?

  • Kelley padgett
    Posted at 20:18h, 17 November Reply

    I am retired from the navy after 20 yrs and I had the kicker when I initially enlisted and I recently tried to obtain it but I was denied bc I enrolled in post 911 bill and said I do not qualify. I had no idea it would be taken from me. How can I file an appeal to get it back..?

  • Timothy Nathan Torrence
    Posted at 01:53h, 24 July Reply

    I am a vet. I had an honorable discharge from the Navy but did not retire from the Navy. Am I or my children entitled to any benefits for college? I am interested in obtaining my bachelors degree and wanted to get additional information. Thanks

    • shayla
      Posted at 00:01h, 14 August Reply

      Hi Tim. If you paid into the GI Bill program ($100 each month) in your first 12 months of service you may qualify for educational benefits. It also depends on how many months of service you actually completed before getting out. If you completed at least 36 months and paid in to the program upon enlistment, you qualify for 100% educational assistance for 36 months. There is a break down if you served less time. You can transfer these benefits to your spouse or children only if you select the Post 9/11 GI Bill rather than the Montgomery. However, if you have service connected disabilities and rate 100% total and permanently disabled, your children qualify for college education assistance without having to give them the GI Bill. hope this helps!

  • Tim Yaotome
    Posted at 04:02h, 27 February Reply

    Wow! I never knew that a family whose parent is a retired member of the Air Force can help pay for their child’s college education through the GI Bill. Learning about this gave me hope for my friend, who is looking for a way for her daughter to enroll in art school. Aside from calling their hotline, I would also ask help from admissions advisors on how she can continue college with or without the fund too.

Post A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy