Special Monthly Grants, Allowances, and Additional Payments

Special Monthly Grants, Allowances, and Additional Payments

Many allowance and grant programs are offered by the VA along with compensation for helping the disabled veterans in getting the required tools for disability. Adaptations, automobiles, clothing and housing money are included in these allowances.

Housing grants

Many servicemembers and veterans who have disabilities related to their military service have an entitlement to construct a custom house or buy one that fulfills the needs of a disabled person under the VA housing grants.

Such grants are specially devised so that the disabled person may enjoy a hurdle-free environment at their house like the creation of a house accessible by wheelchair.

VA provides 3 programs for the assistance of such persons with required alterations.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant

Servicemembers and veterans having certain disabilities related to military services have an entitlement to this grant so that they may construct homes with facilities meeting their needs. Currently, the grant has a limitation of $63,780.

SAH entitles servicemembers and veterans having total and permanent disabilities as a result of:

  • Loss or damage to both of the lower extremities like precluding locomotion without having the aid of crutches, braces, wheelchair or canes.
  • Blind with both eyes with light perception only in addition to the usability of a lower extremity.
  • Loss or damage to a lower extremity along with organic injury/disease residuals or loss or damage to an upper extremity affecting propulsion/balance functions for precluding locomotion without having the aid of wheelchair, braces, canes or crutches.
  • Loss or damage to two upper extremities that preclude the arms use or are above the elbow.
  • A severe injury caused by a burn (as so determined)

Details on SAH grant may be viewed at www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/docs/p

Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant

Up to max sum of $12,756 may be approved by VA to pay for the required modifications for a veteran or a serviceman to buy or construct a house with features facilitating disabilities. To fall under the eligibility criteria, the serviceman or veteran must have an entitlement to compensation for total and permanent disability as a result of:

  • Both eyes blindness along with a visual acuity of 5/200 or lower
  • Anatomical loss or damage to usage of both hands
  • Severe injuries caused by burning

A veteran may apply for SHA and SAH grant programs by submitting the completed VA Form 26-4555 to the local regional office of the VA. More info may be accessed by visiting www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/docs/p

Home Improvement and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant

The HISA program provides help to disabled veterans for the establishment of the necessary infrastructure in their homes to continue the treatment or meet other requirements.  HISA grants are meant for veterans having a medical determination that indicates that alterations in infrastructure are required for the treatment of the disability of the veterans. A servicemember may be eligible for receiving both the HISA grant and one of the SAH or SHA grants as well.

The HISA program covers both types of veterans either connected to the service or not.

  • Benefits for improvement of home as much as $6,800 may be paid for:
  • A condition related to the service.
  • A condition not connected to the service of a veteran having a rating not below than 50% service-connected
  • Benefits for the improvement of homes as much as

$2,000 may be given to the rest of the servicemen who have registration of the health care system by the VA.

One may apply for HISA grants by submitting the completed VA Form 10-0103 along with the Veteran’s Application for Assistance in Acquiring Home Improvement and Structural Alterations to the local medical center of the VA. More information may be viewed at www.prosthetics.va.gov/HISA2.asp.

Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grants

TRA offers grants to veterans and servicemember who have eligibility for 2101 (a) of SAH or 2101 (b) section of SHA on a single term basis.

Grants provided by TRA aims to assist the eligible servicemen or veterans so that they may be able to adapt the house of a family member to meet the special requirements of the disabled veteran or serviceman.

Servicemembers and veterans having eligibility of TRA may utilize as much as $14,000 of the maximum sum for SAH grant’s 2101(a) section or as much as $2,000 of the max sum of SHA grant’s 2101(b) section.

Veterans who are eligible and temporarily reside in a family member’s home may also get help as a grant to have assistance in the adaption of the home of a family member for meeting their special requirements. Veterans having eligibility of a total grant of $50,000 are allowed to utilize as much as $14,000, while those having the eligibility for a total grant of $10,000 are allowed to utilize as much as $2,000. However, VA has no authority to provide these grants for the assistance of on-duty servicemembers.

The amounts provided by SAH grants remain the same for the fiscal year of 2012 as the amounts for the fiscal year of 2011.

More details may be accessed at www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/adaptedhousing.asp

Payment for adapting an automobile

Monetarily help is provided as a grant to provide the disabled veteran with a used or new vehicle to meet the inconvenience due to diseases or disabilities caused to them while serving the military.

The grant sum will also be paid in case the disabilities are caused by medical examination, treatment, work therapy or vocational rehabilitation provided by veterans authority.

Servicemembers and veterans may have the eligibility of a one-time sum of as much as $18,900 for buying any vehicle in case they possess a service-related disability to use both or one foot/hand, permanent vision impairment of both eyes or any immobility caused to both hips or knees.

They may also fall under the eligibility criteria for getting any type of adaptive apparatus, and for the repair maintenance, reinstallation or replacement required for the safe running of the vehicle. Power steering wheel, power seats, power windows, power brakes and other required equipment to meet the requirements of a disabled veteran are included in the adaptive equipment along with other stuff. Before making any purchase of such equipment, the prosthetic local medical center of the VA must be contacted first.

Such grant may be provided for more than just one time. It may be paid to the veteran or to the seller directly.

In case the total price of the vehicle is as much as $11,000, the grant is directly provided to the vehicle’s seller. The servicemen or veterans may receive the vehicle grant for only one time throughout their life.

One may apply for this grant by submitting the completed VA Form 21-4502 along with an application to the local regional office of the VA. The form may be accessed at (www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-4502-ARE.pdf) The VA Form 21-4502 has a list of approved adaptive equipment in the instructions section.

After the submission of the completed 1st section of the application, the second section will be completed by the VA, and the original will be returned to you. It is your responsibility to collect the receipt from the seller, update the third section and submit the form to the local regional office of the VA to get paid.

In case you have the entitlement of just the adaptive equipment (related to service for immobility of hips or knees)

The completed VA Form 10-1394 along with the application for Adaptive Equipment — Motor Vehicle may be submitted to your local medical center of the VA. Moreover, to get the approval of equipment not mentioned in the VA Form 21-4502, the completed VA Form 10-1394 may also be submitted.

Annual clothing allowance

A servicemember having a military-related disability for which there is a need to use orthopedic or prosthetic appliances may also be eligible for a year clothing allowance. Moreover, such servicemen who have military-related skin conditions requiring some medicines damaging their outer clothes are also eligible for the annual clothing allowance. The prosthetic rep residing at your local regional medical center of the VA may be contacted to apply for this program.

Rehabilitation and Assistance Services

In addition to financial benefits, different initiatives and programs are also offered by the VA in order to help the veterans with military-related disabilities. Such initiatives are discussed in the rest of this chapter.

  • kmbiqqzsbj
    Posted at 09:52h, 27 March Reply

    Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?

  • GoNavy
    Posted at 16:22h, 22 January Reply

    It’s nice that the VA has all these benefits for us Vets.. They sure do look nice on paper. The reality of things, once you try to get such benefits, is a much different beast unfortunately.

  • Larry Randol
    Posted at 16:11h, 13 November Reply

    So my pops was a marine for six years before he transfered to the army to join the 182 airborne. He is 1oo% disabled but do to the broken car he has now he can not travel to look for another. Also he is unable to get a loan do to credit history. He has his right leg amputated and can not walk far do to pain.

  • Jimmy Don Moore Jr.
    Posted at 22:56h, 21 October Reply

    Is there any grants for veterans with PTSD to acquire a small parcel of land for peace of mind? Anyplace secluded from people?

  • Luke
    Posted at 12:05h, 24 December Reply

    Please go to your nearest VA representative. If you can’t find any go to the nearest VA hospital and ask the desk for one. Tell them everything you just wrote and tell them you would like to file for a VA disability claim for your husband to receive every benefit that he is entitled to. Tell them he is permanently and totally disabled. The more apparent your husband’s disabilities, the better they are to determine them.

  • richhardfinacialhome
    Posted at 05:14h, 31 October Reply

    Hello Everybody,

    My name is Mrs. hamza Jenny. I live in Czech and i am a happy woman
    today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from
    our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan
    to her, she gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a
    loan of 20,000.00 euro to start my life all over as i am a single
    mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing woman loan lender
    that help me with a loan of 20,000.00 euro , she is a GOD fearing
    woman, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan
    please contact her tell her that is Mrs. hamza Jenny that refer you to
    her.Contact Mr James Michael via email:

  • حوله رویال هوم
    Posted at 17:43h, 15 October Reply

    I liked up to you will obtain performed proper here. The caricature is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an impatience over that you want be turning in the following. unwell indisputably come further formerly once more as exactly the same nearly very frequently within case you defend this increase.

    • Joey
      Posted at 10:33h, 01 December Reply

      What in the hell are you talking about Akmed??

  • تاپ شلوارک زنانه
    Posted at 15:51h, 15 October Reply

    You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.

  • Willie James Davis
    Posted at 04:19h, 04 October Reply

    My name is Rev. Willie James Davis. I am a 71 years old Permeantlly and totally disabled veteran of the Vietnam era and I need a suv or a car so that I can help my wife drive
    I need the vehicle to be altered so I will be able to drive it. I can’t walk very good or far because of 9 back surgeries and 2 hip 1 complete knee surgery and a metal plate put in my left foot a neck Fusion 2 shoulders rotator cuff replacement. I am not able to make my right foot move but everything else is okay
    I just want to be able to drive without begging some one to help us move about I have enough understanding how to safely drive and my wife is able to do everything but she gets so tired driving all the time we just need your help please

  • Dom Diorio
    Posted at 15:43h, 24 August Reply

    Yes, what would be the benefit for a disabled veteran moving to an independent living facility and down the road to assisted living. With spouse.

  • Lynn Brown
    Posted at 18:37h, 22 May Reply

    My name is Lynn,
    My husband is an air force veteran of 8 years but was not in during war time so he has limited VA assistance health care is free but we pay for his prescriptions .Last year he fell ill they removed a very large brain tumor from his ventricals been there at least 20 years .He is lucky to have his life however the 14 hour surgery left his right side partially paralyzed leg and arm he has permanent brain damage not severe but a lot of cognitive function is missing from his words and memory is very bad and has learning disabilities and it is permanent . Needless to say we lost everything our lives changed in a mater of 1 hour once they made diagnosis.he receives 2000 a month from social security .I am his care taker I can no longer work and he does awful unless I’m with him and it’s either I stay with him or he goes to a nursing center according to docs he has many. We are living with family and it is strenuous and we need our own place he needs quite .I honestly don’t know where to look for help to get assistance for a place to live I need to file bankruptcy on our credit cards to clean credit up need money for that we lived off of relatives and friends for 7 months lost everything but our chihuahua and our truck thank god capitol one worked with me the whole time so half of 2000 goes on truck and auto insurance cut us off of stamps as soon as ss kicked in and I haven’t had insurance for about 3 Years now I am 54 he is 57 I don’t know where to get help and he is now epileptic and sensitive to just about anything that causes his seizures I cannot drive him around all day or make him sit in strange places to long he gets anxiety and then seizures occur any suggestions ?
    Thanks very much
    Lynn Brown

  • Moka
    Posted at 11:16h, 07 May Reply

    Moka, is my name and my Dad is 82 veteran and he never have recieved any pension from the VA he lost his hearing in one ear, his smell because of gun powder and he got shot in his knee cap while serving our country, his back, his hip, his fingers arthritis. We already lost my Mom, it is really hard. My Dad has wheel chair, walker and cane, Our house. our his bathroom is not equipped for any of this. Please Help!

  • Adriane Brown
    Posted at 02:52h, 05 May Reply

    I have a home that have 4 bedrooms no one lives there will like to let veteran live there for a monthly fee to get them off the streets. Phone number is 8035307106

    • Jim Blankenship
      Posted at 10:55h, 06 May Reply

      I would like to speak with you about your home and options for my family.

  • Greg
    Posted at 19:05h, 16 April Reply

    You should talk to your primary at the VA about a HISA at least. It isn’t a full upgrade for Adaptive structure but it will start addressing some of your needs. Then you need to speak to your DVA (Department of Veterans Affairs) rep to apply for SAH (Standard Adaptive Housing) grant if you qualify.

  • john fiorvante
    Posted at 23:31h, 05 March Reply

    my us vetarans denifits of 21,013. a month is being taken by a marty ,a female at the 23 street VA in new york city,and a roni ,of poly place brooklyn va.we are not related,-086580866-google mail.air force drill insructor.

  • Wilma J Harrell
    Posted at 15:05h, 05 October Reply

    My husband has really bad issues with his hips locking up on him quite a bit. Our home is not handicap accessible by no means. We had to call the ambulance about a month ago and they had to leave the gerney in the living room and he had to walk from bedroom. Is there anyway we could get a grant for a new handicap house to be built on our property.

  • Stan
    Posted at 19:29h, 30 July Reply

    Connie, sorry to hear you’re having a rough go. Contact the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) or Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and ask to speak to a Service Officer.

  • Connie
    Posted at 22:33h, 29 June Reply

    My uncle is a veteran. He receives a pension of $1036 monthly. $716 of his pension is Aid & Attendance. A field examiner had taken the Aid & Attendance and gave my uncle $200 personal care,$400 caregiver fee, $300 for rent and $31 for life insurance . My uncle has agreed to $9 an hour for caregiver fees. He makes to much money monthly for public assistance . There is no way that I can employ someone for $400 a month. I am a Substitute Teacher . I wont be able to return back to work. I really could use some help in appealing his decision. If you cant help can you refer me to someone that my be able to help?

    • Meagan
      Posted at 22:25h, 25 July Reply

      Connie, what state are you in?

    • E
      Posted at 02:36h, 13 November Reply

      Most VA’s now have what is called the Caregiver Assistance Program. Where the VA will pay the designated relative for the at home care of the veteran. Pay is based on the type of care he needs and how much supervision is needed. The only downside is that it has to be a family member.

      • pc
        Posted at 05:11h, 15 May Reply

        i disagree, i am taking care of a veteran whom i am not related, and VA is giving $501/mo this yr for his care… he gets 1300/mo from social security… Connie maybe he would be better off on social security

Post A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy