Montgomery GI Bill

Montgomery GI Bill

Service members and veterans gets benefited by cash and various other different support programs by means of which, they can get the help on education and training cost under Montgomery GI Bill. In the Montgomery GI Bill, they get cash help for up to around $ 61,000.

Montgomery GI Bill’s value is currently based on monthly rate of payment as $1717 which is multiplied by a maximum monthly limit of 36. Every year on first October the above-mentioned payment rate will be adjusted automatically for inflation. You will get the payment rate which is at present irrespective of when you will be eligible or when you will start using it.

Academic months are referred to as ‘Benefits for 36 months’. It shows that you will get 4 years or 8 semester traditional education.

There are various different programs which can be paid by MGIB as follows:

  • Business, Vocational, College or Technical courses
  • Correspondence courses including Distance learning
  • Job Training/Apprenticeship (For reserve and veterans only)
  • National Testing Programs
  • Accelerated Training on High Tech
  • Flight Training
  • Certification and licensing exams

There is an important Note on this that if someone has registered for College funds for Marine Corps, Army or Navy, his actual benefits will be higher.

Criteria for eligibility:

If someone wants to get MGIB he/she will qualify if:-

  1. During his/her active duty for the first year if he contributed $100 monthly or if qualified in VEAP conversation.
  2. If from his active duty he gets an honorable discharge.
  3. Before applying for benefits he must have completed high school or some equivalent certificate.
  4. At least 2 years of active duty should be served by you.

If someone wants to know more about it he/she can check details on GI Bill Eligibility Fact Sheet.

  • Greg McCormack
    Posted at 13:56h, 01 May Reply

    if an officer in the Navy retires in lieu of elimination and receives an OTH or General discharge, is he eligible for education benefits based upon prior Honorable discharges as both enlisted, as well as an officer? if so, can you please identify where i can find that in the applicable regulations

  • Joe Ortiz
    Posted at 14:57h, 20 April Reply

    How can i find out if I can still use my G.I.bill benefits at this time. I was honorably discharged in 1993.

    • Matt Terry
      Posted at 18:45h, 23 April Reply


      Contact the Veterans Affair office for more information on GI Bill information.


  • CW4 Destria Gladney
    Posted at 14:09h, 03 October Reply

    Please provide assistance/guidance on how to transfer some of my Gi Bill to my husband.

    • Editor
      Posted at 16:47h, 03 October Reply

      The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA. To find out more, visit here:

  • Charles Brown
    Posted at 19:50h, 18 April Reply

    Good Afternoon,

    I am requesting your assistance.

    I joined the Marine Corps in September 1972 and served until my retirement in October 1999 (Honorable Discharge). Regarding the GI Bill education program; “How do I determine my education benefits?”

  • Elaine Lopez
    Posted at 21:35h, 25 March Reply

    I used a partial amount of my GI Bill many years ago (approximately 18 years ago). I plan to start school again. How do I find out if I’m still qualified for the GI Bill? How do I re-apply?

Post A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy