27 Sep How To Apply For The VA Certificate Of Eligibility (COE)?
To apply for a VA loan, you need a certificate of Eligibility. Only veterans are eligible for VA loans if they possess a Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you don’t have it, you won’t be able to take advantage of low VA loan rates and other benefits.
It’s essential to meet some critical requirements to qualify for a VA loan. You are entitled to different benefits depending on your status (active duty or veteran), how long you served, and how you were discharged:
Eligibility requirements for a VA certificate of Eligibility
- You must have served 90 consecutive days on active duty if you are currently on active duty.
- Veteran service requirements vary from 90 days of active duty to 24 continuous months. It is also essential to consider your discharge status. Review the VA’s standards to determine if you meet the requirements.
There are three ways to obtain an eligibility certificate:
- Apply online: You can get your certificate of Eligibility by using the VA eBenefits online portal.
- Depending on which VA lender you wish to work with, you can ask them for assistance obtaining your certificate of Eligibility.
- Apply via mail: The VA provides a COE request form, which you can print, complete, and send to the appropriate regional loan center (addresses are on the form). It will take more time to use this option.
You’re good to go as long as you’re eligible for a VA home loan. A new COE would be required once your status is changed to veteran if you received your COE while on active duty. You can always take a look at VA home loans closing costs.
When you apply online, you can get your COE within 30 days and verify your Eligibility quickly. You should, however, apply early and give yourself six weeks to process your application.
It can take time to verify service and Eligibility in rare cases. Those discharges classified as “less than honorable” can go through the VA’s Character of the Discharge process, which may take one year to complete.
10 Best VA Home Loans 2022
Compare 2022's Best VA Home Loans. Federally Insured. 0% Down. Active Duty, Vet & Family. Tap to Compare Rates. No Money Down.
Comparing is quick, easy, and free!