10 Dec Best Health Insurance for Veterans: Top 11 Alternative Options to Tricare
Veterans need to have health coverage and options too. While most Veterans seek refuge under the Tricare health insurance program, there are still other health insurance plans which might be more akin to the specific needs of veterans.
Either because they do not qualify for Tricare or a series of other factors that render them at the doors of other secondary organizations that are equally supportive and helpful in providing healthcare to veterans.
There is an extensive list of such programs in this article, and Veterans can accordingly pick and choose the program most suited to their requirements.
Health Insurance for Veterans (and Their Families) Who Don’t Qualify for Tricare
Health care law considers you to have qualifying health coverage if you are a beneficiary or enrolled in one of the following programs. You do not need to obtain additional coverage.
- Veterans health care program
- VA Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA)
- Spina bifida health care benefits program
If you’re a veteran without VA health care, visit the VA health care website. You may learn that you qualify for VA coverage.
If You Don’t Have Veterans Coverage
Veterans who do not have VA benefits or other veteran’s health coverage can get coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
With private insurance, you may be able to get lower monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs, depending on the size and income of your household. Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) may offer free or low-cost coverage.
If Your Dependents Aren’t Covered
If you are a VA health care beneficiary or enrolled in a VA health care program, you may have dependents that are not eligible for VA health care benefits. There is a possibility that the Health Insurance Marketplace® may be able to provide coverage for these dependents. It may be possible for their monthly premiums or out-of-pocket expenses to be lower, depending on their household size and their income. Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) offer healthcare coverage at no cost or reduced.
Problems With Tricare and Veterans Health Care
Family members and retirees must decide which option is best for them. The TRICARE Standard plan is the most flexible but has deductibles and cost-sharing requirements. Active-duty families who use TRICARE Prime or Extra are likely to save money compared to those who use TRICARE Standard.
Disadvantages of TRICARE Prime:
- PCM commitment for one year (you can change your PCM any time during that year).
- Except in emergency, PCM and Prime network providers must provide care.
- You must pay enrollment fees even if you don’t use the services.
Additional disadvantages of TRICARE include:
- Expensive per treatment compared to TRICARE Prime.
- No patient care management.
Disadvantages of TRICARE Standard:
- The most expensive option.
- There is a deductible and cost-sharing.
- There is no PCM to guide patient care.
Best Health Insurance for Veterans: Top 11 Companies
While there are several options for healthcare available to veterans in America, including TRICARE, other brilliant options are also available. One needs to consider various factors such as the readiness with which such services are available, the quality of doctors and medical supplies, and the range of care they offer.
Considering all of these factors is vital for every veteran’s specific health concern as well. Due to this, the following 11 health insurance options are some of the best alternatives to Tricare for veterans.
Health insurance for veterans provides a wide array of services with the option of choosing any specific concern or even none if you do not yet have any medical history with any particular disease.
Also, it even categorizes what areas are more important to you to make your decision more accessible and specific to your needs. The website itself is easy to browse through. It can provide veterans with the ease of surfing and a personalized phone number available for their convenience.
Overview of healthinsurance.net Health Insurance for Veterans
Veterans’ health insurance is a perfect option for anyone looking for immediate help since they can aid veterans with medical assistance and insurance quickly and on time. Also, they cover specific concerns from preventative care, emergency care or hospitalization, dental requirements, vision, telehealth, and coverage for any pre-existing conditions.
Also, the website itself is particular and also provides insurance for spouses as well. It takes all the necessary information about the medical history of the veteran as well.
Pros of healthinsurance.net Medical Insurance for Veterans
Health insurance for veterans is primarily the only option for Veterans after Tricare. There are several pros to this type of insurance. The following are a few of the advantages of this type of insurance:
- It is available across all states and covers many health concerns.
- This health insurance also provides complete coverage for the veteran’s spouse and children as well.
- It is easily accessible and readily provides the most appropriate type of insurance as per the issues faced by the veteran and their family.
- It provides good quality medical coverage and does not discriminate over any ranks etc.
- The wait time for appointments here is not too long as compared to TRICARE.
Cons of healthinsurance.net Medical Insurance for Veterans
While health insurance for Veterans is a good option for most individuals, it is not entirely flawless. There are still certain disadvantages to it as well. Here are a few:-
- Sometimes, veterans cannot witness any consistency in providing medical aid and have no right to choose the doctor of their liking either.
- There are also several administrative issues, such as not keeping track of records, not maintaining appointment ledgers, etc.
- Also, there are still a few health concerns that this insurance does not cover and needs to upgrade.
- It is not the most accessible health insurance in the country and must also update its website to make it more detailed and user-friendly.
Health Plans of America
AHIP members provide coverage, services, and solutions to hundreds of millions of Americans every single day. Health care is being made more affordable and accessible for all through market-based solutions and public-private partnerships.
Overview of Health Plans of America Health Insurance for Veterans
AHIP develops helpful innovations by leveraging the collective expertise of health insurance providers. Tens of thousands of industry professionals rely on AHIP for a first-class education, advocacy, and information about the rapidly changing healthcare system.
They aim to improve health care and make coverage more affordable for all Americans by:
- Enhancing the value of the private sector;
- Protecting and promoting employer-sponsored insurance;
- Safeguarding Medicare Advantage;
- Health equity;
- Medicaid managed care;
- Enacting favorable prescription drug pricing and Part D reforms; and
- The affordability and coverage of the Affordable Care Act.
Pros of Health Plans of America Medical Insurance for Veterans
There are several advantages to this health insurance. Here are some of them:
- This organization prides itself on providing the most avid care for any medical purposes for all veterans and seeks to keep improving itself.
- They are one big unit and work and coordinate much more systematically than most other medical institutions.
- Also, the healthcare provided by them is considered to be reasonable and affordable and therefore accessible to more Americans.
- They actively welcome suggestions and listen to any advice on updating their services readily. There are avenues to register any complaints as well.
- They provide services for not only physical health needs but also mental health issues.
Cons of Health Plans of America Medical Insurance for Veterans
Despite the many advantages of this health insurance, it is again not entirely clear since it has its own set of flaws. There are still some areas where this organization can improve. The cons of this medical insurance are as follows:
- Again, the organization has an administrative problem, and records and data keep getting mixed up or lost in some cases. As a result, information is difficult to obtain on time.
- We require increasing the number of medical aid workers here as soon as possible.
- While it is pretty affordable for most Americans, it is still not easily accessible and must make its reach greater to serve all veterans and their families.
AHN is the most extensive physician-owned group practice in Indiana, with over 70 locations and more than 200 physicians and specialists in Indiana and Ohio. Their vision is to provide high-quality, cost-effective, patient-centered health care and ensure our patients receive exceptional care through a robust electronic infrastructure. A health network should automate and optimize the processes of collecting, posting, and reconciling patient payments.
The AHN has been in existence since 1994, when a group of doctors formed it as an independent practice. This project had the aim of developing a more efficient method of providing health care services.
The AHN operates as of today under the same high standards and provides the following services:
The medical care they provide is comprehensive and of the highest quality.
Develop a healthcare organization that provides high-quality, low-cost healthcare services.
Design and implement disease management programs that are effective and efficient.
Overview of Healthnetwork Health Insurance for Veterans
A large part of AHN’s mission is to cultivate a culture based on its core values, which can be summarized as follows:
- People work together in an atmosphere of trust and cooperation.
- Each team member is responsible for their actions.
- Praise for success is freely given and sincerely appreciated.
- Managers and staff work together to make decisions and take action. Patient satisfaction is always a priority.
Their job is to help save lives and improve them, so they uphold the highest standards and work according to the following principles:
- Care of the highest quality
- Quality service
- Comprehensive care
- Cost management
Pros of Healthnetwork Medical Insurance for Veterans
Being a small organization, they must cater to individual needs and specific concerns. As a result, they are at an advantage, and the pros include:
- They can cater to individual needs much better than large organizations and deliver better results in the long run.
- They are truly devoted to optimizing their functions and providing the best possible solution for individuals.
- They believe in providing the best at the lowest possible cost. Hence, it is very affordable as well.
Cons of Healthnetwork Medical Insurance for Veterans
The flip side of being a smaller organization than most others is also several. Below are a few of them:
- The organization caters only to Indiana and Ohio, leaving various other parts of the country mainly unattended to and inaccessible.
- There are various issues regarding organizational management and upkeep that render it in a confused state of affairs.
- There needs to be more coherent communication between the different departments to ensure the best possible care for the persons applying to this organization.
Everest Health Insurance
Founded in 1996, Everest Solutions is a global leader in healthcare technology, consulting, and staffing. Our solutions encompass business applications, talent acquisition, and health information technology, as well as human resources. With Everest Solutions’ ability to combine clinical, administrative, financial, and technological expertise, we can provide innovative solutions for companies facing modern and ever-changing challenges in business.
Overview of Everest Health Insurance for Veterans
Aside from maintaining excellent financial ratings from three of the most reputable financial rating agencies, the company has received a B- rating from the Better Business Bureau. It is also worth noting that the company does not receive many complaints about its service online, and it has a massive following on social media.
Pros of Everest Health Medical Insurance for Veterans
With this company being one of the most popular health insurance companies, there are many advantages. These are:
- The customer satisfaction rate is very high, with many individuals recommending this even over Tricare.
- The company has a good enough rating under the Better Business Bureau, making it more reliable than others.
- The company runs in a very systematic manner, leaving very few errors in its conduct.
Cons of Everest Health Medical Insurance for Veterans
While one of the most sought-after health insurance companies, the organization still suffers from a few pitfalls. These are:
- Given the vast number of other companies, it is not the most affordable type of health insurance that one could acquire.
- The company still does not exist in every state, which could also be a hindrance for many.
United Healthcare Group
In its role as a health care provider, UnitedHealthcare is committed to helping the public live a healthier life and improving the health care system. The organization assists millions of people throughout their lives, from their earliest days until the end of their working careers. Also, it is well known for providing and aiding veterans in their quest for acquiring better healthcare.
Overview of United Healthcare Group Health Insurance for Veterans
UnitedHealthcare offers health insurance plans for individuals of all ages and lifestyles in the United States. Programs are available to individuals, employers, Medicare, and Medicaid beneficiaries.
Many communities continue to experience disparities in access to health care and resources. It is for this reason that the organization promotes better health for all. They further seek to achieve more significant health equity by improving access to healthcare, safe housing, nutritious food, and transportation. Also, they collaborate closely with health care professionals to address social determinants of health.
Pros of United Healthcare Group Medical Insurance for Veterans
This organization has several benefits and has a name that runs throughout the country due to its vast and unambiguous efforts to provide quality health care to veterans and any other person applying for it. Listed below are some of the benefits of choosing this organization:
- They provide health plans which cater specifically to the individual’s lifestyle. It is tailor-made to suit their life and helps aid them in acquiring the best possible medical solutions.
- The organization even simplifies acquiring such healthcare by providing special advocates to clear all doubts and problems that the person may face.
- This organization aids every individual in specifically saving costs and making sure that healthcare is available to them at a much more affordable rate.
- Also, the organization is known for its discrimination-free and inclusive approach, wherein they take special care to ensure that all communities are served and taken care of appropriately.
Cons of United Healthcare Group for Veterans
Despite being one of the most prevalent healthcare programs in the country, there are some cons. If one may look more profoundly, it is necessary to enhance the following:
- Due to its large capacity, improving specific organizational issues is necessary to avoid any confusion or mishaps.
- There could be a better system for storing patient records to make the work easier for everyone.
Based on a calculated study, Anthem is the second-best healthcare provider in the United States. The organization caters to all individuals and is determined to provide preventive and other healthcare to people from all surroundings. The organization is the most sought-after for preventative healthcare choices and offers a range of services to individuals.
Overview of Anthem Health Insurance for Veterans
This organization is known to support veterans and their families by arranging numerous fundraisers and events. They provide every service possible and make it more affordable for military personnel. Particularly during challenging times, such as the current pandemic scenario, this company has been instrumental in providing essential healthcare services to all veterans as straightforwardly as possible.
Pros of Anthem Medical Insurance for Veterans
Since this is one of the leading healthcare providers in the country, there are several pros associated with it. These are:
- The company has access to many states and aims to reach all corners and provide healthcare as and when required.
- The company offers state-of-the-art health services and makes it easier for individuals to propagate through health insurance mechanisms.
- The company has been instrumental in coming through when times are difficult and has shown great support to the military personnel in the country.
Cons of Anthem Medical Insurance for Veterans
It is a health care provider that is one of the most sought after, but there are some fundamental issues to consider. These are:
- The company does not provide the cheapest or most affordable health insurance and thus can become quite unapproachable for many persons.
- The company, despite its many efforts, does not cover every state in the country.
The company provides health insurance and related services, including medical, pharmaceutical, dental, behavioral health, long-term care, and disability plans, primarily through company-sponsored and partially-funded insurance and benefit programs, as well as Medicare. In November 2018, the company became a subsidiary of CVS Health.
Members include 22.1 million medical members, 12.7 million dental members, 13.1 million pharmacy benefit managers, 1.2 million health care professionals, over 690,000 primary care doctors, specialists, and over 5,700 hospitals. Aetna is a direct descendant of Aetna (Fire) Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut. The name of the company comes from Mount Etna, the most active volcano in Europe.
Overview of Aetna Health Insurance for Veterans
The Aetna Medicare Eagle plan is an MA-only plan specifically designed for our nation’s veterans. TRICARE For Life (TFL) or the Veterans Administration (VA) may already cover veterans.
According to AM Best and the BBB, Aetna has been rated 4.0 out of 5.0 stars and is one of the largest health insurance companies in the country. It offers a range of health plans for employers, whereas, for individuals and families, it offers a limited number of plans (Medicare supplements, dental plans).
Pros of Aetna Medical Insurance for Veterans
Aetna Better Health of California is known for providing care for the whole family, no matter where they are on their journey to better health. Some of the benefits include:
- Mental health.
- Diabetic prevention program.
- Program for health homes.
Cons of Aetna Medical Insurance for Veterans
Aetna is still common in most states, but it still has a few cons. Here are some of them:
- It is important to note that Aetna does not provide individual health insurance plans in addition to its Medicare and international plans.
- International health insurance policies are the only products that are available for short-term coverage.
- Independent agents are not permitted to sell these products.
The company prides itself on being more than just an insurance provider but a comprehensive health and wellness partner. Customers are offered round-the-clock care and services for both their bodies and minds. Cigna’s mission as a global health service provider is to improve the health, well-being, and peace of mind of those we serve by making health care simple, affordable, and predictable.
- It is easy to select how, when, and where to receive care with the company.
- By partnering with providers who provide quality, cost-effective services, health care is made more affordable.
- In addition to comprehensive health coverage, the company offers “surprise-free” benefits.
They strive to serve their customers, patients, clients, and communities worldwide by embracing their values. Their values are at the core of what they do.
Overview of Cigna Health Insurance for Veterans
Cigna is a global health insurance provider offering private health insurance in ten U.S. states: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia.
- AM Best has given Cigna an A (Excellent) rating.
- In addition to its BBB “A+” rating, Cigna has applied for accreditation and is undergoing review.
Pros of Cigna Medical Insurance for Veterans
- Cigna is a financially stable insurance company. In addition to an award-winning customer service center that is available 24/7, the carrier has high financial strength ratings.
- For most plans, there is no need for approval outside the network. The company provides members with access to a national network of quality providers and facilities. It also offers free telehealth services.
- Cigna’s website and mobile app allow members to manage coverage details, claims, appointment reminders, spending, health goals, and more. Online, plan holders can search plan network doctors, estimate costs, check the status of their claims, and get their insurance ID cards.
- In addition to home delivery pharmacies, health information helplines, rewards programs, and flu shots, the organization has several other benefits that appeal to members.
Cons of Cigna Medical Insurance for Veterans
- The health insurance provided by Cigna is not available in every state.
- It is important to note that basic and supplemental health insurance cannot be combined.
- Customers have also complained about unresponsive customer service and denied claims.
Blue Cross Blue Shield
The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association represents 36 independent Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance companies. The BCBS has a long history and several well-established affiliated plans that it is affiliated with as well. Even though not all BCBS health plans are the same, BCBS has an extensive range of plans and options, irrespective of where you live. You will likely be able to locate a BCBS health plan that will meet your needs.
Overview of Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance for Veterans
BCBS local plans provide a variety of Medicare Advantage plans, including Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs). It is typical for these plans to cover both medical and prescription drug coverage and additional services such as hearing and vision. BCBS plans nationwide will offer over 200 PPO plans and nearly 300 HMO plans by 2022.
Pros of Blue Cross Blue Shield Medical Insurance for Veterans
- The BCBS plans operate in every state and cover nearly one in three Americans.
- Provider network: BCBS companies collectively contract with 90% of doctors and hospitals across the country.
- BCBS offers a full range of Medicare insurance options: Specifics vary from company to company, but overall, the BCBS plans offer many Medicare insurance options.
- Additional benefits and the Blue365 discount program: Some BCBS plans offer the Blue365 discount program to Medicare members, discounts on health and wellness-related products and services. Many BCBS plans also offer dental, vision, hearing, over-the-counter, telehealth, and fitness benefits.
Cons of Blue Cross Blue Shield Medical Insurance for Veterans
- BCBS is an association of 35 independent companies, so the company does not offer a single health plan. You must locate the BCBS health plan in your area and compare its cost, quality, and coverage options.
- BCBS received a quality rating of just over 3.5 out of 5.0, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Humana, Inc. is a health care provider that offers a variety of insurance products and health and wellness services with an integrated approach to health care. Among the company’s segments are Retail, Employer Groups, and Health and Well-Being Services.
The retail industry consists of Medicare and commercially insured medical and specialty health insurance coverage and dental, vision, and other supplemental health and financial products sold directly to individuals. In its Employer Group segment, the Company offers Medicare and commercial fully-insured medical and specialty health insurance products, dental, vision, and other supplemental health and financial protection products, as well as administrative services alone.
The Health and Well-Being Services segment provides members of its health plan and third parties with benefits. The latest technological advancements and tools empower their expert and caring medical teams to promote health and wellness, such as pharmacy, integrated wellness, and home care.
Overview of Humana Health Insurance for Veterans
In the East Region, Humana Military, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Humana Inc., administers TRICARE, a health plan designed for military personnel, retirees, and their families.
Pros of Humana Medical Insurance for Veterans
- Humana Medicare Advantage plans include coverage that Original Medicare does not, such as dental, vision, and hearing care. Whether you need a root canal, new glasses, or hearing aids, you are sure to get the care you need.
- Humana operates the SilverSneakers fitness program: As a Humana Medicare Advantage plan policyholder, you are eligible for SilverSneakers fitness. With this program, you will have free access to over 15,000 gyms and fitness centers across the country. You can even watch workout videos on demand at home.
- With Humana Medicare Advantage plans, you can get emergency coverage when you travel internationally. The original Medicare does not cover medical care abroad, which is not the case with Original Medicare.
Cons of Humana Medical Insurance For Veterans
- While some Humana Medicare Advantage plans include prescription drug coverage, not all of them do. In some cases, you will need to purchase a stand-alone prescription drug plan.
- Special Needs Plans aren’t available in all 50 states: Special Needs Plans aren’t available in every state. About 20 states currently offer Special Needs Plans.
- It is not always possible to find no-cost Medicare Advantage plans: they are in high demand. In Humana Medicare Advantage plan reviews, the limited availability of $0 premium plans (they’re not available in all states) is a common issue.
Kaiser Permanente, founded in 1945, is one of the leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans in the United States. Currently, they serve 12,5 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia.
Permanente Medical Group physicians, specialists, and the care team are committed to the total health of members and patients. Our expert and caring medical teams are empowered and supported by state-of-the-art technology advancements and tools for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery, and world-class chronic disease management.
They focus on care innovations, clinical research, health education, and improving community health.
Overview of Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance for Veterans
Providing high-quality, affordable health care services and improving the health of our members and the communities we serve is the mission of Kaiser Permanente. Providing comprehensive health services to their members and patients is a priority for the Permanent Medical Group physicians, specialists, and care team.
The latest technological advancements and tools empower their expert and caring medical teams for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery, and world-class chronic disease management.
Pros of Kaiser Permanente Medical Insurance for Veterans
- Online health insurance quotes and applications are available.
- Customer service and claim handling are highly rated.
- The doctor’s office, the lab, and the pharmacy are all located under one roof.
Cons of Kaiser Permanente Medical Insurance for Veterans
- Policyholders are restricted to Kaiser Physicians and treatment centers unless there is an emergency and you are far from a Kaiser facility.
- Kaiser is only available in eight states and the District of Columbia.