Federal Employment Preference Points

Federal Employment Preference Points

Certain survivors of deceased veterans may be eligible for a 10-point preference in the federal hiring process called the derived preference.

Both un-remarried widows/widowers of veterans and mothers of deceased veterans are eligible for the derived preference.

To receive the 10-point derived veterans’ preference, you must fill out the Office of Personnel Management’s Form SF15, “Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference.”

To download a copy of Form SF15, visit https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf.

Additional documentation is required, depending on survivor status.

Un-remarried widows/widowers of veterans must provide:

  • A marriage license or certificate
  • The veteran’s DD Form 214
  • The veteran’s death certificate or documentation of death on active duty (Form DD1300)

Mothers of deceased veterans must provide:

  • Proof that the veteran was your child (a birth certificate)
  • Proof that you were married to the veteran’s father OR proof of remarriage
  • Proof of your husband’s total/permanent disability or death
  • The veteran’s DD Form 214 indicating discharge for a service-connected disability
  • The veteran’s death certificate or documentation of death on active duty (Form DD1300)

For more information, visit https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/familypref/index.aspx

1 Comment
  • Bertlisse
    Posted at 00:25h, 09 February Reply

    What about the daughter of the deceased?

Post A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy