Divorce and Military Retirement Pay

Divorce and Military Retirement Pay

In most cases military divorce rate equate to U.S. civilian divorce rate of approximately 50 percent.

The U.S. Supreme Court deemed military retirement pay couldn’t be divided as community property by state divorce courts in 1981 because current federal laws at that time constrained the handling of military retired pay as joint property. In 1982 Congress passed the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act (USFSPA) that entitled state courts to value disposable retired pay either as property only of the member or as property of the member and their spouse in congruity with the laws of the state court.

Depending on the reservations of the state law, the state could effectively divide military retired pay 50-50, decide to award a majority of the retired pay to a former spouse, or treat the retired pay as the exclusive property of the military member.

The DOD, however, is capable of paying an ex-spouse directly if:

  • The ex-spouse has been married to the service member for at least 10 years, with at least 10 of the marriage years taking place during a period of military service applicable to retired pay.
  • Direct payments won’t be made for the division of retired pay for more than 50 percent. (If the service member has more than one divorce, no more than 50 percent is paid as a division of retired pay. The division of retired pay of a service member with two ex-spouses, then, could result in the court awarding the first ex-spouse 40 percent and the second ex-spouse 40 percent. The DOD directly pays the first ex-spouse 40 percent and the second ex-spouse 10 percent.)

These provisions constrain only when the DOD can pay the ex-spouse directly, whereas, in alternative circumstances, the service member obtains the retirement pay and must subsequently pay the ex-spouse their share or be subject to contempt of court.

  • robert l beckman
    Posted at 14:54h, 19 January

    former spouse protection act needs to be changed there are both women and men that have been divorced and have lost half] there retired pay and they have custody of the kids with no support from the other person and have been leaving in poverty .because child support authority doesn’t look at the person is receiving money from the military retirement system .I know my ex was told to pay 50.00 dallors a month in which she failed and was in arrears for 30.000 and I only got 1500.00 but the military keeps sending 870.00 a month.changes are do now

  • malerick bedden
    Posted at 00:12h, 10 January

    Can I get copy of my PSA online to fax to another?

  • Thomas Chester Blain
    Posted at 00:32h, 08 January

    If you’re a veteran is your medical insurance available to you or do I have to have Medicare from Social Security I don’t understand and I need to get an idea of what it means so I do belong to the veterans and I just want to find out if I need insurance to be a veteran or not

  • Cindy Wilson
    Posted at 13:52h, 23 November

    Recently divorced a veteran who is currently getting compensation from the VA. During the time of divorce he took my name and children off the petition. He is currently ordered to pay child support but does not. Can a petition be made to seize benefits on behalf of children.

  • paterick ross
    Posted at 19:08h, 05 November

    Please provide clearer understanding…. If married couple divorce but the marriage is less than 50% of the service member time of service the spouse is NOT eligible for half of the retirement pay?

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy