A spouse who has not remarried or an unmarried child of a deceased wartime military veteran is eligible for a death pension administered by the VA. The death pension is needs-based and entitled only to dependents with an annual income below a yearly limit set by law.

VA death pensions are eligible for dependents who meet the following criteria:

  • The dependent is the unmarried spouse or unmarried child of a deceased veteran. Children must be under the age of 18, attending university and under the age of 23, or were unfit for self-support before the age of 18 to be eligible.
  • The dependent has an annual countable income less than the limit set by law.
  • The deceased veteran served at least one day of service during a period of war that includes:
    • World War I: April 6, 1917, through July 2, 1982
    • World War II: December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946
    • Korean conflict: June 27, 1950, through January 31, 1955
    • Vietnamese War: February 28, 1961, through May 7, 1975, for service within Vietnam; August 5, 1964, through May 7, 1975, in all other cases
    • Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990, through a date yet to be determined
  • The deceased veteran joined the military on or before September 7, 1980, and served active duty for at least 90 days. This applies to a veteran who joined the military after September 7, 1980, and served active duty for at least 24 months (for National Guard and Reserve members) for the full period called to active duty.
  • The deceased veteran was discharged from the military with a characterization that the VA does not consider dishonorable.

Individuals are required to complete VA Form 21-534, Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by Surviving Spouse or Child to apply for the VA death pension. Visit a VA regional office for a form or download a PDF at www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-534-are.pdf.

After completing VA Form 21-534 and attaching available copies of dependency records like marriage or children’s birth certificates, individuals can mail it to the VA regional office accountable under the state they live.

Checking the rates and income limits

Surviving spouses or dependent children are required to have countable income less than what Congress recommends (“Deciphering countable income” details how to determine what is countable) to qualify for a death pension. The VA pays the discrepancy between countable income and yearly income limit depending on the dependent’s situation. In most cases, the difference is paid in 12 equal monthly payments that are rounded down to the nearest dollar.

A surviving spouse with one child and a countable annual income of $3,000 would be eligible for an annual death pension of $6,815 ($576 per month).

Accounting for inflation Congress alters the annual income limits every year. An up-to-date list of rates is available at https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/.

Deciphering countable income

Countable income is income obtained from most sources by the surviving spouse and any qualifying children. This includes:

  • Disability and retirement payments
  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
  • Survivor Benefit Program (SBP) payments
  • Interest and dividends
  • Net income from farming or businesses

Additionally, the VA presumes any income produced by children is made available to the dependent spouse, but the VA can make exceptions in cases of hardship.

Exclusions and deductions

When configuring countable income, some income doesn’t count, and some expenditures can be deducted. An example of noncountable income would be public assistance like Supplemental Security Income (SSI), food stamps, or welfare. Deductions available to decrease countable income include medical expenses, final expenses concerning the deceased veteran’s last illness paid by the survivor, burial expenses paid by the survivor, and special educational expenses for surviving spouses and children.

Examining net worth

Net worth is the net value of assets of the surviving spouse and their children, including such things as bank accounts, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and property other than the surviving spouse’s address.

No limit exists for how much net worth an individual can have for this benefit granted the net worth is not excessive. What is excessive is determined by the VA on a case-by-case basis who judge whether the individual’s assets are suitably large enough for them to subsist off of for an appropriate length of time.

Death pensions operate on a needs-based system and not designated for protection of significant assets or build up an estate for the benefit of successors.

2017-12-13T15:46:17+00:00 February 27th, 2016|Categories: Survivor Benefits, VA Benefits|Tags: , |14 Comments


  1. Teretha McNeil March 24, 2016 at 1:46 pm - Reply

    i wanted to know is it too late to take out life insurance on my husband or the family. my husband is disable vet 100% and i’m hid fidicsary. i’m not sure i spelled it right. i have also faxed a letter for educational benefits. i owe money back . i got sick with breast cancer two time, with the cancer and depression i had to come out of school. hoping to return again soon. at the time i didn’t have the right mine to focus on nothing but the cancer. i’m cancer free now and realize that some things need to be taken care of. our finances. we need every dime of our money. in the fax i have sent every doctor and number to the cancer center i attend to now still. my battle started in 2011 until now. and i still has to have surgery soon on my knee.

    • Veterans Authority March 25, 2016 at 4:04 pm - Reply

      The Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI) program was established in 1951 to meet the insurance needs of certain veterans with service connected disabilities. S-DVI is available in a variety of permanent plans as well as term insurance. Policies are issued for a maximum face amount of $10,000.

      You can find more information here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/s-dvi.asp

  2. Kathy jais August 1, 2016 at 4:38 pm - Reply

    If you are entitled to a spousal death pension benefit, is does this benefit have a beneficiary listed. Does this benefit just go to the survivor?

    • Veterans Authority August 1, 2016 at 6:48 pm - Reply

      The Survivors Pension benefit, which may also be referred to as Death Pension, is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to a low-income, un-remarried surviving spouse and/or unmarried child(ren) of a deceased Veteran with wartime service. You can find more information here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/spousepen.asp

  3. donna dood October 13, 2016 at 11:38 pm - Reply

    my ex husband just died. he has to children which are both over 35 and disabled Is there anything they get cause of there dads death. he served in the marines and got an honorable discharge.

  4. Shelia Jackson November 3, 2016 at 5:32 pm - Reply

    My mother was not aware of these benefits after my father’s death. My father was a Korean War Veteran. He died in 1988. Mother passed away last year August 20 2015. Are the surviving hires able to claim benefits

    • Veterans Authority November 8, 2016 at 3:43 pm - Reply

      The Office of Survivors Assistance has prepared a list of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) to assist you. Please review this FAQ to see if your question has already been addressed here: http://www.va.gov/survivors/faqs.asp

  5. Vince Glowacki May 15, 2017 at 1:28 pm - Reply

    I am at 100/70% disabled Vietnam vet. I am 69 years old. I receive a compensation of 100%. My concern is if I die first, will my wife be able to collect half my disability per month.

    • Veterans Authority May 15, 2017 at 1:38 pm - Reply

      The Survivors Pension benefit, which may also be referred to as Death Pension, is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to a low-income, un-remarried surviving spouse and/or unmarried child(ren) of a deceased Veteran with wartime service. You can find more information here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/spousepen.asp

  6. Melody Ritter August 22, 2017 at 5:47 pm - Reply

    I hear tell that a death certificate can be changed (AFTER) time has passed of the death of the vet…
    How or who do I go about doing or getting this done?

    • Adam August 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm - Reply

      You can call the VA Office of Survivors Assistance at 1-800-827-1000.

  7. Andrea Martin October 21, 2017 at 1:53 pm - Reply

    Just asking to clarify information. Do I meet the definition of a Veteran. Based on the definition I read here I do, even if only in title but not VA benefits. I was told upon leaving I would not receive VA benefits because I was never deployed for a contingency.
    I served 6 years in the Air Force Reserves but was never deployed, Honorable Discharge. I did perform active duty orders while completing my units weekly airdrop missions and supported the 53rd Weather Squadron (Hurricane Hunters) during NOAH storm tasking.

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Help us do more and do it better.

Together, we are building a connected, streamlined platform of services so that every single person who has been in the military can connect to all the support they need. We envision a one-click future for our vets. Because we owe it to them to make the transition simpler. Easy access to benefits. Easy access to mental health support. Easy access for job training, loans, and other financial needs. But most important - easy access to a place that cares about them.

Donate Now

Make a gift that matters