15 Jun VA Healthcare Services for Women Veterans
The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides various VA healthcare benefits to its women Veterans. In addition to providing general services, as a women Veteran, you can also avail female-specific services and counseling for military sexual trauma.
Here’s a brief on all the services available to women and how to access these facilities.
VA HEALTHCARE SERVICES FOR WOMEN
The VA provides these healthcare services under two types-
- Primary care services
- Specialty services
Following services are provided under VA’s primary care services-
- General services like nutrition counseling and disease prevention.
- Mental health services for conditions like anxiety, depression, PTSD etc.
- Cervical and breast cancer screening
- Female-specific services like birth control, preconception counseling, hormonal replacement therapy and menopausal support.
- Free and confidential therapies for women suffering from physical and mental conditions related to military sexual trauma.
In addition to the primary services, VA healthcare also provides specialty services like-
- Maternity care
- Rehabilitation therapies like physical therapy, speech-language therapy and occupational therapy
- Homebound and long-term care for some eligible members
- PSA services like hearing aids, post-mastectomy items and prosthetic limbs
- Treatment for sexual problems and issues like urinary incontinence
- Screening and treatment of chronic conditions like heart problems or diabetes
- Management and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases like HIV/AIDS or hepatitis
- Other services like InVerto Fertilization (IVF)
According to the amendments made in 2017, VA healthcare also includes services like IVF. However, these services are only available to applicants who suffer from a service-related disability/injury, making it impossible to conceive without fertility treatment. You can visit the VA’s official website to know more about IVF.
OTHER SERVICES AND PROGRAMS UNDER VA HEALTHCARE
The VA also provides 24/7 telephone services to women Veterans. You can get in touch with your VA healthcare provider to access the toll-free number. You can also visit a regional office for more information.
Moreover, the VA also provides assistance for-
- Homeless women Veterans
- Victims of intimate partner violence
- Employment help
- Job training
- Education and training
HOW TO ACCESS THESE SERVICES?
To avail of these services, you must apply for VA healthcare. After enrolling yourself with the department, you can do either of the following to access these services-
- You can get in touch with your primary care provider.
You can reach the Women Veterans Program Manager at your regional VA office.