10 May Types of Homeowners Insurance
Veterans or active-duty military personnel can receive a military discount from some homeowners insurance providers.
Purchasing a home insurance policy to protect it against fire and theft is part of the cost of owning a home. When you are shopping for home insurance, you will find that many companies will offer you a discount on your premium in appreciation for your military service.
We looked for companies that offer a military discount or are exclusive to veterans to find the best home insurance, provider. Below, we have listed the three companies with the best perks, coverage options, and pricing.
1. USAA: Best Membership Perks
USAA is open only to active duty personnel, veterans, and their immediate families. In addition to affordable insurance coverage, you can take advantage of unique USAA perks, including banking and financial services through USAA, as well as discounts on security systems and car rentals.
Pros and Cons of USAA Home Insurance
- Every policy includes $5,000 in identity theft protection, except in North Carolina, Alaska, New Jersey, and New York.
- A home-sharing endorsement protects your rental property
- The website of USAA does not include an endorsement list.
- Previously rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as lower than Armed Forces Insurance and Geico
- Discounts on shopping and other membership perks
You can find these five discounts with a USAA homeowners insurance policy:
- Including auto insurance, a home insurance policy,
- A claim-free status
- The installation of a home security system
- Insurance that covers the entire rebuilding cost
- Buying a new house
2. Armed Forces Insurance: Best Endorsements
Armed Forces Insurance (AFI) is not available through USAA for military members or families, and it features extensive endorsements. In addition to coverage for earthquakes and floods, AFI offers 15 blessings, and the two other insurers only present a few.
Pros and Cons of AFI Home Insurance
- USAA and Geico offer more discounts
- Ensures natural disasters are endorsed
- Experienced in home insurance for more than 130 years
- A smaller selection of insurance products than large insurance companies such as Allstate and State Farm
- Doesn’t offer customer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Armed Forces Insurance offers the following discounts:
- Alarm system for burglars and fires in the central station
- New home
- Guarded or gated communities
- Grading the effectiveness of building codes
- The feature that mitigates windstorms
- Building a safer home with IBHS
- Roofing job completed
- The company’s policy
3. Geico: Best Customer Service
It doesn’t offer exclusive discounts to military members and veterans like USAA and Armed Forces Insurance. Still, Geico partners with army, navy, and emergency services associations to offer discounts to military members and veterans.
For a superior customer experience, Geico is the only provider in this review that offers 24/7 customer service. The company also provides an online chat, mobile app, and customer portal.
Pros and Cons of Geico Home Insurance
- Self-service tools include a customer portal, online chat, and mobile app
- Every state is covered
- Geico offers a monthly premium payment option
- There is an underwriter for every insurance product
- Contact a company representative to receive a quote
The following discounts are available to Geico customers in addition to the military discount:
- Insurance bundles (combining home and auto insurance)
- A smoke detector and fire extinguisher in the house are essential
- Protecting your home with a security system
Some insurance companies provide military families with discounts and other benefits to make owning a home more affordable. Veteran-friendly insurance providers include USAA, Armed Forces Insurance, and Geico.