VA Benefits

VA Benefits

As a military veteran you are given a myriad of benefits. However, not every military veteran is familiar with all of the benefits they are afforded and there is often no one there who will actively tell you. This process is actually a bit complicated if you do not have a guide because many of the VA benefits are contingent upon things such as:

• the branch in which you served
• the length of time you served
• where you served
• your rank
• your pay grade
• your family
• etc…

This information is designed to help you navigate the benefits offered to veterans and their families so that you can get everything you deserve.

This information will cover the types of discharges you can be given which will then determine the types of benefits to which you are entitled. It will cover things such as medical care, dental care, education, travel benefits, shopping, housing aid, financial benefits, retirement, and more.

Get started today:

  • Getting the VA Benefits You Deserve
  • Determining Your Veteran Status and Qualifications for Benefits
  • Navigating Claims and Appeals
  • Veterans Affairs Healthcare
  • Tricare: The Military’s Health Insurance
  • Disability Compensation and Pensions
  • Getting Retirement Pay
  • Carrying On: Payments and Benefits for Survivors
  • Burial and Memorial Benefits
  • Education and the GI Bill
  • Aid and Vocational Training for Veterans
  • Veterans’ Jobs & Small Business Loans
  • Financing Your Dream Home
  • Military Retirement Homes

A wide range of services and benefits are available to help veteran-eligible military members who leave the service after retirement or after their military obligations have been met. This is part of what you earn when you serve your country.

This section of rights and VA benefits contains general information about medical, education and other benefits, mostly available through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For more specific information and requirements, you should call your nearest VA office, located in major cities throughout the country. Your state regional office can be reached at 1-800-827-1000.

If you are an active-duty service member, you can also get information on veterans benefits from your command career counselor, personnel officer or education officer. For more information, go to


Continued Health Benefits Program

The lack of medical coverage after a member’s discharge, or family member’s loss of eligibility, is a concern of military members and their families. The Continued Health Benefits Program (CHCBP) is designed to ease these concerns.

CHCBP was established under the 1993 Authorization Act for DOD beneficiaries who were losing their military health services system entitlement. The new program had to provide medical benefits comparable to those provided to former civilian employees under the Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan’s (FEHBP) Temporary Continuation of Coverage. The 1995 Authorization Act extended this benefit to children placed for legal custody or for the purpose of adoption.

Four beneficiary groups are eligible for CHCBP coverage: former active-duty members and their family members; unremarried former spouses; emancipated children; and children placed for legal custody or for the purpose of adoption.

The CHCBP features two enrollment categories Self or Family. Premiums cover 90 days of coverage. For Self – $933; Family – $1,996. Premiums are paid entirely by enrollees (i.e., without government subsidy).

Medical coverage is for specific time periods. For separated members coverage is for a maximum of 18 months. Unremarried former spouses, emancipated children, children placed for adoption or legal custody each have a maximum 36 months of coverage.

Participation is voluntary, but written election of coverage is required within a 60-day period after separation or loss of eligibility. Coverage is provided through TRICARE Standard using the basic benefit, provider networks and fiscal intermediaries. Pre-existing conditions under the CHCBP are covered to the extent standard TRICARE covers certain conditions.

IM&I, Inc., Gaithersburg, Md., provides administrative support functions for the CHCBP (toll-free line, mailing of brochures or applications and eligibility verification). The toll-free number for IM&I is 1-800-809-6119.

Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment

Eligible veterans are admitted to any of the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) medical centers for the treatment of alcohol or drug dependence or associated medical conditions. If specialized care for the veteran’s alcohol or drug dependence is required and not available at the admitting medical center, the veteran may be transferred to the nearest medical center which has these programs.

The DVA has approximately 94 alcohol dependence treatment programs (ADTP) and 42 drug dependence treatment programs (DDTP). Each ADTP and DDTP provides services that include intervention support activities, emergency medical services including detoxification, clinical and vocational assessment, consulting liaison, ambulatory/out-patient and after-care services.

Vocational Rehabilitation

This program provides assistance to service-disabled veterans to live independently; become employable; and find and keep new jobs. Evaluation and counseling services help plan a vocational rehabilitation program, or a program to improve the potential for independent living.

Eligible veterans may enroll in schools or colleges; train on the job or on a farm; or enter programs that combine school and job training. While enrolled in a rehabilitation program, veterans receive a monthly subsistence allowance in addition to compensation or retirement pay. The amount of subsistence is determined based on the number of family members and the type of training received.

Each program of rehabilitation is tailored to meet the rehabilitation needs of the individual veteran. Seriously disabled veterans may pursue comprehensive training in their own homes, in rehabilitation centers or in other training facilities.

Medical care and other supportive services, such as tutorial assistance, may be provided. Advancements from a revolving fund, work-study programs, counseling, job placement and post-placement services are also available.

Comprehensive Training and Rehabilitation Services

Veterans are eligible for training and rehabilitation services if all the following conditions are met:

  • They suffered a service-connected disability in active service which entitles them to a VA disability rating of at least 20 percent compensation or; would do so but for receipt of retirement pay Veterans may also be eligible if they have a compensable rating of less than 20 percent and first applied for rehabilitation before Nov. 1, 1990, or have a serious employment handicap;
  • They are hospitalized in a military hospital for a condition likely to be compensable;
  • They were discharged or released under other than dishonorable conditions;
  • The VA determines they need vocational rehabilitation services to achieve suitable employment because of an employment handicap. Their service-connected disabilities must contribute to this employment handicap.
  • Programs of independent living services may be provided to the seriously disabled who cannot achieve suitable employment.

Employment services

Employment services may be provided to all veterans who are eligible for (or found to have an employment handicap who are current participants in) the Chapter 31 training and rehabilitation program if the VA determines they are job-ready.

Generally, a veteran must complete a rehabilitation program within 12 years of the date of VA notification of entitlement to compensation. Extensions may be granted for veterans with serious employment handicaps.

Eligible veterans may be provided training and rehabilitation services up to a total of 48 months although additional training may be authorized under certain conditions. Employment services may be provided for up to 18 months.

Memorial Affairs

Burial benefits in a VA national cemetery include the grave site, opening and closing of the grave and perpetual care. Many national cemeteries have columbaria or special grave sites for cremated remains. Headstones, markers and their placement are provided at government expense.

Veterans, service members and family members are eligible for burial in one of the VA’s 114 national cemeteries. An eligible veteran must have been discharged or separated from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable and have completed the required period of service. Persons entitled to retired pay as a result of 20 years creditable service with a Reserve component are eligible.

Spouses and minor children of eligible veterans and of service members also may be buried in a national cemetery. If a surviving spouse of an eligible veteran marries a non-veteran, and remarriage was terminated by death or divorce of the non-veteran, the spouse is eligible for burial in a national cemetery.

For more information call 1-800-827-1000.

A Final Word

The booklet, “Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents” gives up-to-date detailed information on all VA programs and is available free via the Internet.

It is sold for $5.50 a copy through the U.S. Government Printing Office. Ask for GOP stock number 051-000-00212-1 from the Superintendent of Documents, P.O. Box 371954, Pittsburgh, PA 15250. To order with VISA or MasterCard, phone 202-512-1800.

  • linda below
    Posted at 17:42h, 06 January Reply

    I like to know if the wife gets any Benefits for doctors?

  • charles Buskill
    Posted at 15:54h, 10 November Reply

    It is my understanding that the benefit for IU is being terminated in Jan 2020

  • carlos lamb
    Posted at 21:15h, 29 October Reply

    I am trying to get a copy of an appraisal that was submitted to VA from Mr. Lee Stanley in Albany, Ga. earlier this year. He has told me that I should contact the VA Regional office to get that. ANy help from someone would be greatly appreciated. Carlos Lamb for a response would be most helpful. THanks.

  • linda kelley
    Posted at 23:18h, 16 October Reply

    I have been told recently that my husband’s benefits are being cut by $1,000. He was told it was by our state’s authority We live in NY state and my husband is 69 and 100% disabled he was in the Navy during Vietnam. I am 70 and disabled from an operation. Please let me know if this cut is happening. Sincerely, Linda Kelley

  • mack williams
    Posted at 14:42h, 24 September Reply

    I need a coply of my benefits sent to my email

  • clifford chaffee
    Posted at 21:40h, 09 January Reply

    I am trying to gain back pay for medical issues-agent orange-, other issues,. to no avail. I get partial VA disability. I am made homeless by city and am unable to acquire assistance in rectifying situation. My meds were stolen..Please advise. I need previous benefits to assist in a life… thanks. any help appreciated. 419-271-0385

  • frank j. height
    Posted at 16:55h, 20 June Reply

    i am a Vietnam vet. received( o t h ) had adjudication done to determine whether my service was dishonorable after that i receive my v I c card ,start getting my health care ,receive a letter saying that i am eligible to receive state local benefits getting care for depression, p t s d i was diagnosed with while in service i have 2 presumptive conditions related to toxic water camp Lejeune others totally disable file my claim in 2011 still being denied by B V A and regional office saying that i don’t meet the status as a vet also have documents that where hidden in my c- file where they has my claim Flagged for Behavioral since 2014 and that they did not do another adjudication states that decision was bass on a decision in 2011 i would like to know how to get this straight. the was because i contact white house complained about regional office i have v a progress note and choice primary doc that i am totally disable

  • eric
    Posted at 23:39h, 05 June Reply

    I need a copy of my VA awards letter

  • Sally Rhodes
    Posted at 22:11h, 19 April Reply

    I had to get a new bank account and need to arrange to get my VA deposits changed to the new account. Can you help me ?

    • Matt Terry
      Posted at 18:08h, 23 April Reply

      Sally, you will need to contact the Veteran Affairs office directly.


      • Constance Ondrejicka
        Posted at 18:30h, 26 January Reply

        My husband was sent to a local hospital for an aortic aneurysm operation. The VA paid some of the cost and said my husband’s cost was $0.00. We just got a bill from the local hospital for the part not paid by the VA. Does he have to paid that amount? It is quite high and we actually can’t afford it.

Post A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy