Are You Eligible For VA Disability Compensation?

VA Benefits

Are You Eligible For VA Disability Compensation?

VA disability compensation is a military benefit offered to Veterans who have a service-related disability. It is monthly, tax-free pay, which depends upon the applicant’s degree of disability. One can qualify for disability compensation for physical conditions like hearing loss and mental conditions like PTSD developed during or after active duty.


To stand eligible for VA disability compensation, you must meet the following requirements-

  • You served in active duty/ active duty training/ inactive duty training.
  • You have a disability rating for your condition.

In addition to the above, EITHER of the following must be true-

  • You got injured or sick while on-duty, OR
  • You had a condition before joining the military and being on-duty made it worse, OR
  • You have a service-related disability or an illness that appeared after you left the military.


You can qualify for VA disability compensation if-

  • You have a chronic condition that appeared within one year of your discharge, OR
  • You suffer from an illness caused due to hazardous material, OR
  • Your condition is a result of the time you spent as a POW.

Following is the list of conditions disability benefits can cover-

  • Severe hearing loss
  • Loss of limbs
  • Cancer
  • Scarred tissues
  • Ulcers
  • Breathing problems
  • Chronic back pain that resulted in a back disability
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • PTSD
  • Traumatic brain injury


After verifying your eligibility for the compensation, you can file a claim online, by visiting your regional office or through the mail. However, before applying for the benefits, make sure you have all the supporting documents and evidence for your condition.

The following is the list of documents you might need to fill out a disability compensation claim-

  • VA medical and hospital records stating that your condition has gotten worse
  • Private medical and hospital records stating that your condition has gotten worse
  • Supporting statements from a family member, friend, colleague, law enforcement personnel or a person who can tell the VA about your condition and how it got worse.

You’ll also be needing discharge documents like DD Form 214 and service treatment records.

No Comments

Post A Comment

Log in

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy