Home / VA Benefits Overview / Burial & Memorial / Reporting a Veteran’s Death

Reporting a Veteran’s Death

The first step to receiving assistance and benefits for a veteran’s death is to report it to the appropriate agencies.

Social Security can be notified by calling 1-800-772-1213.

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) can be notified by calling 1-800-538-9552.

  • If the veteran is also a retiree, the Defense Finance and Accounting service should be notified by calling the Retiree Casualty Section of the DFAS at 1-800-269-5170.

You can also file DFAS Form 9221 online using DFAS’s Fast Form option at http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/forms.html.

  • If the veteran is also a current or retired federal civilian employee, the Office of Personnel Management should be notified by calling 1-888-767-6738.

The VA should be notified depending on the benefits the veteran was receiving or the programs the veteran was enrolled in.

  • If the veteran was receiving disability compensation or a pension, call the Veterans Benefits Administration at 1-800-827-1000.
  • If the veteran was enrolled in a VA-sponsored life insurance policy, call the VA at 1-800-669-8477.

If the veteran was also a retiree enrolled in the Servicemember’s Group Life Insurance plan, call the VA at 1-800-419-1473.


  1. I have tried calling a couple of times after 20-30 minute wait time I was hung up on twice. My husband Michael Albert O’Brien age 69 passed away on March 19th. He was receiving disability benefits of about $133.00. I have already notified the bank about this. They are responsible for returning it. I wanted also to find out if there are any benefits I have coming to me.
    Mrs.Rosanne O’Brien
    Cell# 503-XXX-XXXX

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *