If you are looking for mileage reimbursement or special mode transport along with the VA health services, you must be eligible. You can qualify if and only if
- The SC i.e. service connected rating is not less than 30%.
- You need to travel for SC treatment.
- You are a pensioner
- Your annual income is not more than the maximum annual pension rate.
- You need to travel for pension examination or scheduled compensation.
Special mode transportation is only available if
- Your condition is not up to the mark and you need a special van i.e. an ambulance or a van recommended by VA
- At least one of the above eligibility criteria should be met.
- Travel is pre-authorized as authorization may take some time and that delay can be dangerous.
You need to travel in order to reach the VA facility. If the above mentioned requirements are fulfilled you are eligible no matter what. VA will compensate 41.5 cents per mile. It also depends on the appointments. If the appointment is a scheduled one, it qualifies for round trip mileage. On the other hand unscheduled ones may only limit to return mileage.
From January 2009, the rates have been revised and now there will be deductible to reach before compensation. The rate of deductible is 3USD each side, that is 6USD for a round trip. Above all it is subject to monthly 18USD. If you have reached 18USD in deductibles, the payment for that month would be free of deductible fee or charges.
Deductible waiver would be provided if and only if you are eligible for travel and you are
- A VA pensioner
- NSC vet and that your last year income is not more than applicable pension rate. Similar is the case for the current year’s income.
- SC vet and that your last year’s income is not more than applicable pension rate. Similar is the case for the current year’s income.
- Travelling for a pension exam or scheduled compensation.
You can read more about Frequently Asked Questions to get answers.